Skip to main content

The Republic- Book 3



Book III starts by exploring the concept of courage. The idea of the Gods for the Athenians is something that is bothering Plato. His main concern is if the traditional way of thinking about the Gods is fostering real virtues of courage.  This dialogue makes us understand the importance of questioning the consequences of things that we hear or read. Socrates questions Homeric writing “ It’s not that they are not poetic and sweet for the many to hear, but the more poetic they are, the less should they be heard by boys and men who must be free and accustomed to fearing slavery more than death.” (387b) It seems then that the media is that shapes what we ought to fear and we ought not to fear. This is interesting because I am currently taking a class where we are talking about End of Life and how currently the media has distorted our perception of death. If an alien were to land on earth and tried to understand the concept of human death and got his first glance from a TV news feed it would seem that death is something that happens tragically by either car accidents, suicide, natural disaster. But this is not the true idea of death; death can occur naturally, on a hospital bed, it happens at any age. 
Similarly, Socrates is making this deep insight about questioning what we read or hear.

Now moving on to moderation of the citizens through music and poetry. I think that Plato is taking the influence of poetry and the arts and analyzing it in moral grounds. He knows that certain poetry is not beneficial for his city. He is working thinking the assumption that people imitate from these sources. What I take out from this book is that Socrates makes a valid point when trying to control the source that is influencing and impeding the people from his city be just. But is his action just? I think Plato would say that it is, because in the end everyone that belongs in the city must give up certain desires to belong to the city. All for the greater good of the city.

Another take away is the fact that Plato is explaining the effect of the social atmosphere in people. This reminds of the field of sociology! So I guess we can say Plato has some sociologic perspectives as well not just philosophical. Good Job Plato!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The way of the Truth

Parmenides differs from the rest of the pre-socratics previously studied (the Milesians, Xenophanes, Heraclitus and Pythagoras) in that his thought transcend the material into the abstract, asking questions about our existence and reality, essentially a start to the arena of metaphysics. Parmenides  is an example of the way we should elevate our minds into the abstract. It is an invitation to live in a more contemplative way, contemplating using logic and reasoning. Through his poem and the imagery of roads and paths, he describes our reality as having two ways the way of the Truth and the way of Opinion. The way of the Truth is the road less traveled by regular people, they go for the way of Opinion. The way of Opinion is based on the experiences that we live day to day, what we see right in front of our eyes. The way of the Truth is the one you want to be in to live well. To live in this way you have to understand the concepts of the "what is" and "what is not".

What we value, truth or knowledge?

Last time I ended class with this thought: Xenophanes changed the Homeric views on god. It helps us question if religions define god for what it truly is. With the progression of their theories, I see the Milesians and Xenophanes and think that maybe the mind needs to be constantly evolving to get closer to the truth. Reading Pythagoras made me think about the relationship between truth and knowledge. Curd shows us a fragment were Plato makes a parallel between Homer and Pythagoras. They look alike in the fact that they both had people that followed them. The major distinction is Pythagoras striving for knowledge, his followers the mathematikoi and akousmatikoi both looking to gain knowledge in what they each venerated, while Homer convinced his followers by   his stories that reflected some of the truth about their society.   Curd mentions this fragment “Much learning does not teach insight. Otherwise it would have taught Hesiod and Pythagoras and moreover Xenphanes and Hec

My last blog post... as a non philosopher

Like the image above, I have started thinking, questioning, wondering, desiring to dig deeper, desiring to not just understand, but comprehend. This is the reason for my writing today. I have decided to take my first philosophy course in college. Where will this road less traveled take me?  What I know is that I can already feel that my life will start to have meaning. Not that I don't find meaning in my current life. So far, my faith has tremendously helped me define who I am, something that has led me to live with joy.  The journey to discover myself as a spiritual being has invited me to find my first vocation, the vocation to life. We take for granted that we are alive, that we exist. When was the last time you felt awed by the realization you are alive? Admiration has been replaced by the monotonous rhythm of our daily life, greatly corrupted by the shining screens all over our faces everywhere we go.  I see philosophy as an invitat